Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 1 of Blogging.

Well, here goes.  I am officially a blogger. Kinda feels like the first day at a new job when you don't even know where the bathroom is.  I am not a distinguished writer, I do not have alot of letters behind my name, and I almost flunked my college English class.  With that being said, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think I had something to offer.  In fact, on my life bucket list reads #3: "Change the world".  Right after #1 and #2 which are "Lay on the beaches of the Carolina's" and "eat BBQ in Memphis".   Deep, huh? I believe health care, particularly EMS and ED's have an opportunity to change STEMI care and change the world at the same time.  In a recent conversation, I learned others have the same goal.  Well, maybe not the BBQ or the beaches-but they do want to change the world.  I carry some hope that these blogs are a step in the direction of changing the world.

First, I suppose I should give you the lowdown and me, my history, and why Nurse. Mom. STEMI. has come to be. I have worked in healthcare for 16 years. Actually aside from waiting tables it is the only thing I have ever done, and more importantly the only thing I have really ever been good at.  I once had a frequent flyer patient that I got to know really well tell me "Jodi, I think you are a much better nurse than you are wife or mother."  The funny thing was that I didn't take any offense to it.  I knew exactly what he meant.  Healthcare and caring for people comes very naturally for me.  Being a wife and mother is something that I constantly have to be working at. 

As we all have our journeys in healthcare, mine has taken me to building a heart attack system of care for our very rural state, South Dakota.  I titled this blog: Nurse. Mom. STEMI. because those three things dominate my life. Whether we ever care to admit it or not, work is one of the biggest parts of our lives. Like many others, I think sometimes my priorities get blurred. 

I have not yet decided if this blog will be educational for you, or therapeutic for me.  Maybe it will be both.  In the last year I have become a "secret blog follower" meaning that I follow more blogs than I care to admit to.  I don't read books, I read blogs.  I have always believed if you want to succeed at something, you should surround yourself with those that do it well.  In the last months, I have been fortunate enough to be in the company of some of the best. And last night I decided it was time to join the masses.   So while driving home from my dad's 60th birthday party, Nurse. Mom. STEMI. came to be.  Thanks for following along with me on this journey.

2 comments:

  1. Great first post! I'm excited to read your entries. You're such a wonderful person, very "real" and definitely have something to contribute to the blog world!

    ReplyDelete